Principal conservation and biodiversity consultant - Cambridgeshire
Principal conservation and biodiversity consultant - permanent - Cambridge. Mott MacDonald is seeking a principal conservation and biodiversity consultant to join their growing environment division in Cambridge. The successful candidate will be a recognised leader in conservation and biodiversity, and will work closely with our landscape, biodiversity and ecological teams. You will be responsible for winning and delivering work throughout the UK and abroad.
The post is more technical than managerial, providing a mature lead/support on various environmental projects, especially working to ensure iterative design of infrastructure development accomplishes the highest possible level of integration with the environment.
The role would suit an innovative lateral thinker with a wide range of multidisciplinary skills. These must include considerable experience in the impact of infrastructure projects, including road and railway schemes, water supply, flood defence schemes and power generation schemes. An ability to provide training and mentoring to clients and our staff will also be important.
You should have a particular expertise in biodiversity and its relationship with the wider landscape. You should be competent in understanding a broad range of environmental topics embodied by ecosystems services.
Overseas projects will be an important part of the workload, and you should have strong experience of the developing world, with an ability to spot environmental opportunities and constraints presented by development projects.
Typical duties will include:
- Providing technical expertise on a very wide range of environmental issues in relation to civil engineering projects, to feed into EIAs, EMPs, due diligence and other assessments, especially overseas
- Undertaking site surveys in support of environmental assessments, ecological assessments, landscape and visual impact assessments and social assessments in support of a specialist in socio-economics
- Leading the production of environmental assessments, optioneering and iterative design of civil engineering projects in the UK and overseas
- Undertaking research, administrative and any other duties as required
- Specialist expertise in biodiversity and conservation
- Highly experienced environmental professional with exposure to a wide spread of UK and overseas work
- Chartered member of an appropriate professional institute
- Strong experience of environmental assessment, environmental management plans and due diligence
- Strong professional reputation in your specialist field, achieved through publications and engagement in policy development in some form
- Ability to manage own work load and that of others, whilst being an integral member of the wider design team
- Strong written and spoken communication skills are essential
- Full UK driving licence
- Command of at least one foreign language desirable
- Knowledge of landscape and visual impact, heritage assessment and recreation issues is desirable
- Experience of public inquiries would also be highly beneficial
Ecological skills must include:
- Confident identification of all main components of the British flora and habitats
- Sufficient field knowledge of Mediterranean, European and some tropical flora and habitats to achieve reasonably swift field survey with the help of guides and keys
- The same should apply to ornithology in most overseas countries and in the UK