Our multinational partner is looking for a Unix Engineerfor the following tasks:
- Working closely with customers to develop and deploy robust and re-useable configuration management components.
- Working with the Windows desktop team to bring developer Linux VMs to desktops.
- Working with the open source community, testing and certifying new upstream releases for internal use, and ensuring our patches are accepted upstream.
- Maintaining and improving the group's internal continuous integration and testing platform.
- Writing self-service tooling to allow customers to customise their configuration.
- Troubleshooting problems, determining the root cause, and where possible, fixing the bug(s).
- Ability to write robust, maintainable, scripts in Python and/or Perl.
- Good understanding of UNIX / Linux system fundamentals.
- Good knowledge of at least one configuration management system (Chef, Puppet, Salt Stack, etc.)
- Experience in managing a large UNIX / Linux plant, including:
- Setting up and maintaining continuous integration and testing frameworks.
- Defining best practices and automating the administrative tasks.
- Effective troubleshooting skills across all components of the plant (HW, OS, network, storage).
- Ability to collaborate with others on development, including code reviews, providing specifications, implementing specifications from others, and writing documentation.
- Knowledge, awareness and contributor to open source projects would be an ideal fit.
- Knowledge of virtualization technology.
- Additional programming languages and skills such as C, Java, SQL, Ruby.
- Experience of DevOps.
- Knowledge of the Quattor Configuration Management system