Purpose of the Job:
The Strategic Buyer – Direct Materials is responsible for managing commercial relationships with strategic suppliers in key category and commodity areas across the organisation. Independently, and in collaboration with suppliers and other key internal stakeholders, this position will employ category, contract and other supply management strategies to manage mutual expectations and relationships, control risk and minimise cost to the extent feasible. This individual will provide leadership to the buyer planners in the development and execution of supply base management strategies that support the Operational, Commercial and Technical requirements of the organisation.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Job Functions): This self-motivated individual will provide support for, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Responsible for commodity strategy development
- Contribute to cost down targets of 5% per annum over the next 3 years
- Develop, negotiate and manage LTA’s with key suppliers that minimises risk and total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Consistently transform & optimise the supply base through deployment of strategic sourcing tools & processes.
- Lead cross-functional team(s) in the execution of sourcing initiatives, cost reduction & productivity projects.
- Coach and mentor team members to build the organisation’s category expertise.
- Work closely with all operational teams, including production, quality, design and supply chain, to ensure continuity of supply
- Exploit existing or develop new cost models to understand cost drivers of purchased components and/or services and utilise negotiation and cost management tools to obtain best in class pricing on all components and/or services.
- Monitor market trends and maintain high level of subject matter expertise in defined areas of responsibility.
- Establish and communicate supplier performance expectations, monitor and drive compliance with suppliers.
- Ensure continuity of supply by proactively managing critical supply issues, secure and maintain effective supplier capacity to meet current and future needs.
Experience & Education:
- The successful candidate will ideally be having education in economics/commerce (MCIPS is an advantage) and possess Direct purchasing experience with good stakeholder management experience and capability.
- 5+ years of experience in a supply chain, progressive procurement, or manufacturing environment with an understanding of Sourcing, Materials Management, and Logistics
- A thorough understanding of ERP/MRP, purchasing tools and techniques
- Advance Microsoft skills desired, EXCEL, WORD, POWER POINT, SAP experience preferred
- Strong capability in all Windows based applications
- Assertive, self-starter and possess ability to work independently
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Adaptability & Multi-tasking
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and facilitation skills
- Excellent negotiation and cost management skills
- Influential, working through others, negotiation, and team work
- High organisation with attention to details & managing competing priorities
- Excel in highly matrixed and cross functional environment, flexible
- Ability to effectively coach and mentor other team members
- Strong ability to drive and execute change
- Travel to domestic and international internal & external stakeholders, up to 20%