UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
Title of Position: Senior Secretary
Position Number: 10023439
Category & Level: General Service, G-5
Location: Division of Emergency, Security and Supply (DESS) Global Service Centre, Budapest
Effective date: As soon as possible
Duration: initially for a period of one year
Closing Date: 11 January 2015
The Senior Secretary is responsible for office management, secretarial and administrative support to the Unit or Section within Headquarters or in the field where the position is located. The incumbent is normally supervised by the Head of Unit/Section who provides general outline of assignments and reviews the completed work for accuracy and conformance with objectives. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, while will follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. The Senior Secretary liaises with other internal or external entities to ensure effective delivery of services/out-put in the Office/Division/Bureau.
- The UNHCR Office has sufficient secretarial and administrative support thus better able to meet its objectives.
- Arrange appointments and maintains supervisor’s calendar. Receive visitors; places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion.
- Arrange meetings, both internal and external, some involving high-ranking officials, and take minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Prepare informal translations and may act as interpreter.
- Type correspondence, documents and reports, some of which are highly confidential.
- Receive, screen, log and route correspondence, attach necessary background information and maintain follow-up system.
- Draft official correspondence, documents and reports on routine matters and/or for clearance by the supervisor and ensure follow-up. Maintain filing system for electronic and hard copy documents.
- Maybe required to assist in Human Resources tasks (attendance record, travel arrangements, preparation of travel authorisation, /claims, etc.) for staff within the unit.
- Assist in the preparation of visit programmes, briefings on issues covered by the Unit, collection of documentation for briefing kits; talking points and other material for missions, meetings and visits.
- Liaise at an appropriate level with other units/Sections, HQ services, Regional Representations and country offices, as applicable, to facilitate the work of the Unit.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Completion of Secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with Secretarial training and/or certificate.
- Minimum 5 years of previous job experience relevant to the function.
- Computer skills (MS office and People soft applications).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Analytical thinking;
- Planning and organizing skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN language.
External candidates must be legally present in Hungary at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
Submission of Applications
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your Link megjelenítése (P11) and its Link megjelenítése when necessary, motivation letter and CV by e-mail with “LAST name – Snr Secretary (10023439)position” in the subject line to the email address below by 11 January 2015.
Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a test. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training) or any other fees.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: Link megjelenítése