UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES
INTERNAL/EXTERNAL VACANCY NOTICE
|Title of Position:
||Senior Finance Assistant (GL)|
|Category & Level:
||General Service, G-5|
|Location:||Accounts and Finance Services
Global Service Centre, Budapest
|Duration:||initially for a period of one year|
|Closing Date:||12 April 2015|
The Senior Finance Assistant is part of the GL Accounts Unit in the Accounts Section of the newly restructured Accounts and Financial Service (formerly Financial Control Section). He/she provides technical support with the processing of financial transactions, and monitors compliance with applicable financial rules and regulations.
- Selected open item accounts, individual open items and cash balances in MSRP in the countries allocated to the incumbent fairly reflect the reality and serve as a reasonable basis for the preparation of the Financial Statements.
- Cases where insufficient progress would expose UNHCR to audit risk are proactively identified, followed up with counterparty and escalated on according to the practice of the Unit.
- An atmosphere of trust with the allocated HQ units and field offices is built and maintained.
- Provide answers and guidelines for finance-related questions received from field offices and HQ units.
- Monitor bank and cash accounts, in order to avoid negative balances and to ensure that the reconciliations are prepared by the deadline and adhere to quality requirements.
- Handle petty cash-related requests received from field offices and HQ units and prepare the draft Petty Cash Authorization Memorandum.
- Monitor petty cash accounts, in order to ensure that authorized ceilings and individual payment limits are not exceeded, to avoid negative balances and to ensure that disbursements are expensed in the correct financial period.
- Monitor open items according to the yearly workplan. Review supporting documentation for the selected, high value open items and contra items (opposite sign).
- Monitor expense and revenue accounts according to the annual workplan.
- Process P.35 documents received on paper or via MSRP bolt-on system, according to the internal SOP.
- Send the monthly UNDP SCAs to field offices and monitor the booking of these charges in order to ensure that expenses are recognized in the correct financial period.
- Re-perform reconciliation for field bank accounts on a sampling basis according to the workplan.
- Carry out month-end and year-end closing activities.
- Participate in the preparation of the Financial Statements and respond to the audit requests.
- Contact field offices and HQ units and request correction/adjustment relating to the above issues as appropriate and necessary.
- Prepare monthly finance-related reports.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Identify, propose and advise on correct accounting treatment in relation to the issues raised by field offices and HQ units.
- Follow-up on issues and errors relating to bank, cash and petty cash accounts and open items with relevant UNHCR Offices.
Obtain from HQ and field offices any information necessary to carry out his/her responsibilities.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED COMPETENCIES
- Secondary education, together with training/certificate in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or related field.
- Minimum five years of previous job experience in the field of accounting or finance.
- Working experience with ERP financial modules such as PeopleSoft, Oracle or SAP.
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
- Fluency in English, including strong drafting skills.
- Judgment and decision making;
- Analytical thinking;
- Technological awareness;
- Planning and organizing skills.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Good knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
- Good understanding of accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS).
- Working knowledge of French or Spanish.
External candidates must be legally present in Hungary at the time of application, recruitment and hire.
Submission of Applications
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your Link megjelenítése (P11) and its Link megjelenítése, motivation letter and CV by e-mail with “LAST name – Sen. Finance Associate (10012764)position” in the subject line to the email address below by 12 April 2015.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a test. Only short-listed candidates will be notified. No late applications will be accepted.
UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training) or any other fees.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: Link megjelenítése