Principal or Senior Environmental Health Officer - London
Principal or Senior Environmental Health Officer
London - Barnet
An excellent opportunity for an experienced Environmental Health Officer to join our dedicated team, to ensure that the residents of London Borough of Barnet have access to staff who can deal with their noise, smoke odour, drainage, refuse and pest problems. This is to support our priorities in the Corporate Plan to protect and enhance the natural and built environment so that the borough is clean and green. The post will be the lead in the liaison between in hours and out of hour's nuisance complaints to resolve resident's nuisance issues.
Appointment for this role as either Principal or senior environmental Health Officer is dependent on skills and experience. At the Principal level, you will be expected to participate in Regional Enterprise (Re)'s Out of Hours Emergency Standby rota, for which a standby payment will be made.
You will need a valid current driving license. Essential Car users allowance is payable.
Purpose of job:
To provide technical professional Environmental Health services with the overall aim of protecting and improving the health and well being of every resident, worker and visitor within the Borough.
This involves undertaking a full case load and overseeing and coordinating delivery of work programmes.
The post holder will be required to undertake their duties in one of the following sections:-
• Public Health and Nuisance and Scientific Services
• Private Sector Housing
• Food Safety and Health and Safety
• CIEH degree, and EHORB Certificate of registration. To progress past Principal Environmental Health Officer require CIEH APC/APD
• Ability to conduct 1:1 case load management and to be able to report issues there from.
• Competent user of Microsoft Office specifically Word, Excel, Power point, Outlook
• Confidence to deal with members of the public in situations which can sometimes be highly confrontational. If the case requires, you will need to attend court as a witness.
• Knowledge of legislation relating to statutory nuisance and public Health is essential but training will be provided.
• Experience in dealing with a range of Environmental Health matters.
• Ability to progress projects in a timely manner in accordance with Corporate Guidelines.
• Experience of a variety of effective communications techniques
• Political awareness and the ability to escalate issues to Senior Managers to enable them to properly inform elected Members
• Ability to demonstrate how this role will contribute to the effective delivery of equality of opportunity in both service delivery and employment
• Ability to work with minimal supervision.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with colleagues in order to maximise the benefits of project implementation
• Has general business awareness and ability to use this in order to support improvement in the programme
• Is able to adapt to change in tasks at short notice
• Strong interpersonal skills and able to challenge, support, influence and engage management and peers.
• Ability to take responsibility for resolution of issues
• Self-motivated and able to manage own work, including work on multi-projects
• Able to communicate effectively with colleagues and customers at all levels
• Has proven excellent team working skills