Java Developer - Lancashire, Manchester, M21 0
- To work on the development of products to grow and expand the SIS business, specifically sports data related system and applications.
- To apply design, coding standards, change and version control, documentation and testing standards as appropriate.
- Build, design, test and deployment of new products.
- To work on code maintenance and upgrades and tests for existing SIS systems
- To champion design, coding standards, change and version control, documentation and testing standards as appropriate.
- To work on maintenance and upgrades to existing systems.
- To develop and extend the SIS Java build and deploy framework.
- To own a subsystem or component within the project and be responsible for design, implementation, testing, documentation and knowledge sharing with others in the project team.
- To assist SIS support staff and internal/external customers as required.
- Ownership of releases supported by the team.
- Accountability and responsibility for design, implementation, testing, documentation and knowledge sharing.
Essential Technical Experience:
- Java (J2SE)
- Strong XML (including XPath, XSLT, RelaxNG, XML-Schema, SAX, DOM)
- Strong Maven administration
- HTTP (Tomcat and servlets)
- Red Hat Linux (main o/s used)
Desirable Additional Experience:
Experience in the following areas would be a distinct advantage:
- JMS (any exposure to Websphere MQ a bonus)
- Experience developing and (3rd line) supporting real time data feeds.
Key Result Areas:
Communication & Teamwork
- Ensure regular and clear communications (written/verbal) within SIS Development, business customers and other project stakeholders at all seniority levels.
- Ensure project stand-ups, retrospectives, meetings etc happen on time, are efficiently run, and ensure whole-team participation
Quality and Process
- Adhere to quality procedures within development. Make recommendations to enhance all processes to improve and maintain their effectiveness and quality.
- Take part in regular reviews on designs, coding and test plans.
- Ensure consistency of approach across all development projects involved in in terms of process and approach.
- Maintain excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work in a team environment and on-going business relationships.
Competencies and Experience:
- Problem solving and analysis
- Understands a situation by breaking it apart in to smaller pieces. Analyses all the facts/data and options available before making a decision. Identifies cause of problems through investigation of the symptoms and identifies effective solutions
- Planning and organising
- Structuring activities in order to maximise effectiveness of one's time. Prioritising, schedules tasks and stays focused.
- The ability to effectively communicate an idea(s) or details of events in a way which enhances relations in the work environment. Listens effectively to and understands verbal and non verbal signals in groups and one to one meetings. Present one's thoughts in an effective manner in writing.
- Strong problem solving and technical appreciation skills
- Ability to work under pressure and identify priority tasks
- Self motivated and ability to work largely unsupervised
- Good Team Player
- Strong communication skills
- Experience of full software life cycle
- High calibre graduate in scientific discipline (ideally computer science, software engineering or similar)