Hydraulic modeller/ Senior hydraulic modeller/ Flood modeller
Mott MacDonald's recent success on the Environment Agency framework has resulted in our environment division having an urgent need to hire an experienced hydraulic modeller with relevant skills and qualifications in the field of numerical modelling (specifically hydrological/flood modelling and/or computational fluid dynamics (CFD)). We have immediate work available on a range of key projects. The post will be based either at our principal office in Cambridge, or one of our other main UK locations (Croydon, Bristol, Leeds or Glasgow).
The environment division's work typically covers flood mapping, flood risk assessments, flood management strategies, thermal and sediment plume modelling, and hydraulic modelling of complex structures in dams and rivers.
The successful candidate will lead projects within our existing teams of modellers and engineers, delivering modelling assignments to a range of clients. Many of our projects support major infrastructure development around the world, but we also do significant work for the Environment Agency in England and Wales, and with SEPA and Scottish Water in Scotland.
You will also be intimately involved in proposal writing, which will be underpinned by your technical expertise, commercial acumen and project and people management skills.
- Professional qualifications in environmental science, civil engineering or other related disciplines relevant to the role
- Chartered with an appropriate professional institute
- Able to take effective responsibility for the project management and technical delivery of modelling assignments (may span various sectors, including water and water resources, power development and infrastructure development)
- Relevant experience within a UK consultancy is desirable
- Significant experience in designing and developing/writing bespoke software to interface with modelling software in respect of data manipulation would be desirable
- Skills in MIKE suite (MIKE 11, KIKE 21, MIKE FLOOD, MIKE SEE etc.)
- Programming skills
- Experience in fluvial, estuarine and coastal studies
- Experience in dealing with clients and building relationships
- Experienced in managing teams of staff, both on projects and as a line manager
- Relevant overseas experience would be beneficial
- Willingness and ability to travel in response to project needs, both within the UK and abroad
- Full driving licence suitable for use in UK without limitation
On the hydrological/flood modelling front we would also like to see:
- Significant relevant experience in a flood modelling related role
- Experience and knowledge of the implementation of flood risk assessment procedures (especially in relation to compliance with flood risk policies and procedures in the UK)
- A thorough knowledge of TUFLOW, ISIS, HECRAS and FEH
- Experience in the use of GIS as part of modelling assignments to prepare data and present outputs efficiently
On the CFD fron we would also like to see:
- Significant experience in project applications of modelling (ideally covering hydraulic structure performance, river dynamics, flood control and management, thermal plume movement and dissipation, water quality and sediment transport)
- Strong GIS knowledge and further specialist qualifications in mathematics, fluid dynamics, hydrological sciences or hydrodynamic modelling