Diversity Outreach Officer (Youth) - London
Purpose of job
The Liberal Democrats are recruiting a Diversity & Outreach Officer, focusing on outreach and engagement with young people and students.
The successful candidate will implement a strategic programme of outreach and engagement activity with young people. This programme will be led and managed by the Head of Diversity & Outreach, working in close liaison with Liberal Youth.
1. Coordinate relevant events and activities targeted at young people at Federal Conferences
2. Support the delivery of the 'Gold Guard' initiative, mobilising support and activity in key strategic areas as agreed
3. Ensure that Liberal Democrats have an active and coordinated presence at University Freshers Fairs, and opportunities for recruitment and outreach are maximised
4. Liaise with the Liberal Youth Executive Committee, and support activities to build capacity within Liberal Youth membership, such as the 'Activate' training weekend
5. Research relevant issues relating to young people and liaise with key HQ departments to inform campaign messaging and promote media opportunities.
6. Proactively build and maintain links with relevant external youth organisations and campaigns
7. Support additional outreach activities with young people and student within Strategic Seats, as necessary
8. Act as key point of contact for relevant enquiries.
The successful candidate will demonstrate a strong commitment to youth engagement and a creative approach to campaigning, along with strong evidence of political judgement and excellent communication skills.
Essential Skills and Experience
1. Ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders, including paid staff, volunteers and committee groups
2. Strong personal organisational skills, especially the ability to multi-task and prioritise
3. Strong interest in engaging young people in the political process
4. Experience of organising events and/or projects
5. Excellent communication skills
6. Willingness to undertake training in safeguarding for children and young people
7. Sympathy with the aims and values of the Liberal Democrats
Desirable Skills and Experience
1. Proven political awareness of issues relating to young people
2. Previous experience of working with a combination of paid staff and volunteers
3. Previous experience in youth engagement and activism
4. Strong understanding or qualification in safeguarding for children and young people
5. A demonstrable record of successfully generating and delivering campaigns (not necessarily in the political field)