Biodiversity Senior Principal Consultant - Cambridgeshire, Cambridge, CB1 0
TBC wishes to recruit an exceptional individual as Senior Principal Consultant to deliver a number of key projects and manage client relationships. The post is initially offered as a one year contract on a full-time or near-full time basis.
You are an outstanding individual who is able to take leadership decisions and a strategic approach to designing and leading projects in diverse situations. At the same time you are an adept team player, comfortably able to work within multi-cultural teams in different environments and countries. Self-motivation and rigour will be essential. An ability to think creatively and put oneself in the shoes of our clients is critical. This capacity to understand our clients' views coupled with core ecological principles and biodiversity knowledge common to conservation planners / ecologists / protected area specialists is the making of a TBC consultant.
You will be politically savvy and able to communicate your ideas succinctly and clearly to non-specialists. You enjoy building good relations with colleagues working in nature conservation, mining, developing world environment ministries, oil and gas engineers, and specialists from the world's multilateral and commercial banks.
The chosen applicant will have outstanding writing skills, being able to digest, dissect and summarise large amounts of information into readable, technically sound précis. We need excellent communicators who can write clear concise reports and papers. Importantly, the chosen candidate will be possess a brilliant analytical mind with the capacity to reduce complex problems into scientifically and politically defensible solutions.
You are probably already well-established within the field of nature conservation and probably bring a specialist field with you from your past: eg biodiversity priority setting; IUCN Red Listing; conservation planning; and/or marine ecology. You have had a non-OECD focus in your work, and understand that human and biodiversity issues cannot be separated in such countries. You are therefore able to describe and negotiate the approach a mining company is taking to biodiversity management to national stakeholders: the Environment ministry, the NGOs and scientists; an outstanding individual will also be able to listen to and build ownership of a company's approaches within the local communities themselves.
Title: Biodiversity Senior Principal Consultant
Duration: initially offered as a one-year contract
Location: Cambridge, UK with potentially significant international travel
Part-time/full-time: Full-time (near full-time also considered)
Salary range: £50,000 to £60,000 PA (Full time)
• Delivering and managing projects
• Client relationship management
• Relationship building within industry, government, conservation organisation and scientific institutes
• Writing proposals, company communications and policy
• Development of new corporate biodiversity programmes, including issues such as design and field testing of baseline survey methods, biodiversity metrics, impact assessment protocols, mitigation programmes and biodiversity offsets.
• Negotiating and communicating on behalf of TBC, maintaining our careful line between pragmatism and rigour
• Application of financial lending criteria e.g. PS6 to development projects
• Development of government biodiversity and offsets policies.
• Researching and writing on biodiversity metrics and offsets, for publication.
• Supervision of Principal Consultants
• At least ten years' experience in biodiversity conservation
• Experience of managing and delivering multiple complex projects
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills, able to convince sceptical stakeholders
• An acute understanding of human politics and institutional dynamics
• Experience of supervising or managing individuals and/or small teams
• A willingness to work with the private sector, understand their needs, and operate strategically within client organisations which might hold vastly different core values
• Familiarity with international biodiversity, natural resource and livelihood issues, especially in the developing world
• An ability to provide intellectual leadership, creativity and simplicity to problem solving
• Sufficient GIS skills (map making and basic analysis) to communicate with our GIS team.
• Willingness and enthusiasm to travel globally and work in challenging environments
• Positivity and teamwork
• A good Honours or preferably Masters degree and a postgraduate qualification in relevant disciplines
• You are probably a PhD or Masters graduate with 10+ years of experience in biodiversity conservation
• Preferably a background as a field conservation specialist, understanding how to make conservation theory work in practice with communities and governments
• An expert in biodiversity priority setting; a conservation planner; a protected areas specialist; HCV specialist; or in biodiversity policy.
• Experience in IUCN red listing
• Familiarity with scientific publishing
• Experience in human community - biodiversity issues such as livelihoods and NTFPs
• Multinational mining or oil and gas experience
• Proven ability to be able to work in French
• PhD in environmental discipline
• Multinational mining or oil and gas experience
• More advance knowledge of GIS.
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE "APPLY NOW" BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO THE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION AND TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS.